CASE STUDY: The North Face - Boise
To create a retail environment designed around performance technology, pride of heritage in The North Face brand and a sense of sustainability by developing a store with a commercial interior certified by the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED program.
In a combined effort with the building owner and The North Face, The Boise location was recognized with the highest honor a sustainable environment can achieve; Gold level LEED certification. This is the largest store The North Face has done in terms of sustainability with materials chosen for optimum energy use and air quality rating. Located on one of the busiest corners in downtown Boise, the building was the site of a former department store in desperate need of revitalization. In keeping with their commitment to sustainability, during demolition and restoration, every effort was made to recycle and reuse organic materials.
- Working closely with the landlord toward the goal of Gold Level LEED Certification, a wide range of high-efficiency and conservation of energy systems were incorporated, including lighting, HVAC, and a high-tech air filtering system that fills the store with fresh, clean air.
- The restoration of the second-floor windows, closed off since the 1950’s, with high-efficiency glazing, brought light streaming into the space, contributing day lighting and passive solar heating to the space.
- The restoration process unearthed an architectural “hidden treasure,” the original wood joist ceilings, whose sizeable presence and artisan-crafted nature contribute warmth to the space and help raise the low ceilings.
- With the majority of the retail space located on the second floor, prominent visual elements were used to attract guests up where they are greeted by a large graphic mural and the dramatic footwear wall.
- Material selection was an important aspect of the sustainability initiative, a minimal amount of materials were used with all of them sustainable in nature, including: Porcelain Tile - reduced energy consumption/recyclable, grout/setting material use recycled content; Hardwood - no insecticides/laminating adhesives from sustainable forestry; Carpet - recycled content and glue-free installation; Back Area Flooring- recycled vinyl content with low-VOC adhesive; Entry Mat - 90% post-consumer tire waste; Paints – acrylic, low-odor/low-VOC.